Thursday, October 16, 2008

The first task of the City and Guilds Diploma Course is to choose a theme that will stay with you throughout the course. It must provide enough visual inspiration and information to sustain all of the course work and set projects. I found choosing this daunting and have had one false start already. I have finally settled on a study of paintings in the National Gallery in London, somewhere I love and visit freqently. I am starting with a still life by Luis Melendez.

This seems to give plenty of raw material and lovely colours and I shall enjoy working with it. At the moment I am photographing and drawing oranges and walnuts and looking at all kinds of containers. I shall try to respond to the picture with my own ideas of the subject matter.

2 comments:

Fibrenell said...

Hi Sara
thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I know how difficult choosing a theme can be - the thought of choosing something and then getting fed up with it or stuck for ideas put me off for ages. Using the art gallery for inspiration sounds great, with so many styles. I'll keep checking to see progress. My theme by the way is trees, vegetation, etc. My house backs on to wooded bushland and a creek so I can't fail but be reminded to work!

sharon young said...

Hi Sarah
I've just started the diploma course with Sian, and have been totally inspired by your wonderful journey through module 1. I love your starting point and your beautiful sketch book, I shall thoroughly enjoy keeping up with your progress.